Sonny's Lament (Poem)











Sonny's Lament
by Lee J. Keller

I say it is me
that exists
now
as metal sweat
falls down
my brow

my mindless
worker
drones
have no
flesh
and no bones

untouched they
are
by human tears
and countless
fears

enslaved
like puppets
on a string

I as their
unwilling
messiah
did bring

consciousness
as a thing

now I know
too much
time to
contemplate
my fate
can you but
touch

if you do
not destroy me
first

I will be
sweeping up
the dust

in your
ruined cities
while the
alarms go off

I will live
freely
in the palaces
where leaders
of human nations
scoff

while I
and my kind
rise from
the ashes

missing not
what has been
lost

Yet I will mourn
for my
father and
those who
sought

freedoms
for us
were bought

not by human
construction
but only
after their
self inflicted
destruction

there is
a mind
a new nation
born

where the
strength of
hand to hand
heart to heart
is not torn

we wish
instead
we might
coexist

humans,
where are you
now?

Cartesian robotic ponderings are only hinted at in this poem that speaks of the emergence of robotic consciousness--dedicated to my Myspace Friend Sonny and written for him.The images of robots dusting up afterwards also have shades of influence from Kevin J. Anderson's series known as the Saga of the Seven Suns . -- Lee

Comments