How to Write Better Novels (UPDATED)

How to Write Better Novels (UPDATED) 
by Lee J. Keller 


I't's been quite a while since I did a blog entry about the writing process. As you might guess, I've been a technical writer and freelancer for decades, and had a long academic career where I also wrote papers in various styles and had publications in journals or books. That means that I am weaker in fiction writing than nonfiction. 

This does not mean that I am unable to turn out an entertaining and readable novel, rather, I’m inviting you to learn along with me how to improve such writing, if you are interested. In fact, learning and doing writing is important! 

 As a fellow learner, I'm ever mindful of tools and other resources that I've found are helpful. Of course, there is no substitute for the experience of writing on a regular basis which must be the essential part of any writing. You do have to write, right? 

In my opinion, one of the central truths about novel writing is it's all about the story, and how your characters react to the storyline to raise reader sense of fulfillment and experience. 

 After I turned my attention to novel writing, and especially over the past two years, I’ve finished up a novel which was first called Mistaken Identities and has now been renamed The Emergence. (It is currently in the final stages of prepublication). 

But the learning doesn't stop! For a writer, I think learning by reading, and learning by tools is a lifelong process! As I said, one of the best ways to improve our writing is to just keep writing on a regular basis, at least that's the best way to get the various drafts done and make progress. Writing is what a writer does after all. However, writing without knowledge and improvement, or without feedback of some sort, often means that writers continue to make the same mistakes over and over. 

Because of the lack of knowledge and experience, everyone says that all writers have to learn how to write; that is, there are few born prodigies at writing. (Not to say that there aren't some talents, outlooks, or early experiences that help to make good writers). The good news is that better writing can be taught or learned, but each writer must themselves become better at their craft. Again, one must also write. 

Many successful writers point out that learning about craft, the experience of getting better at prose, or reading widely; are all part of a writer's education and valid points essential to any writer's improvement. This may be especially true for aspiring, or new, novelists. 

Recently I came across two very similar (yet distinct) writing books that have helped me enormously. I would have to say that these two books really packed a one-two punch for me. This is because the two works taken together, could not have come at a better time. Both books are similar because they are both written by individuals that have had long careers in commercial publishing. Both authors have worked as editors at major publishing houses, and both have had extensive careers as literary agents. Because of this experience, they both know the common mistakes that beginning writers (and novelists) make. In short, as they explain how to avoid those mistakes, they know what to look for to immediately reject your manuscript, which is what they do at publishing houses and agencies to reduce the enormous slush piles. 

The two authors also know good writing when they see it. And as they point out, they know that part of getting a literary agent is also understanding what genre and subgenre your novel is, and what agents and publishing houses have lists that may accommodate the work you are offering. (Of course, part of the understanding of genre for a beginning novelist is knowing that it's probably unwise to defy reader expectations of obligatory scenes and conventions in that genre). 

I cannot tell you how powerful the contribution of these two works has been in improving my writing. They've been a big source of inspiration, change, and improvement, I can tell you that for sure. There are lots of books about writing out there that are very good, some that aren't, but these two books came together for me at a time that couldn't have been better. (I only wish I had found them earlier). 

I'm also thinking that discovering these two books at any time in a writer's career would be valuable! So I'm going to share them with you. Maybe it will help you save valuable time, enhance your learning, improve your writing, and/or assist you in getting the next great novel (yours) published! 

Here are the two books with corresponding Goodreads links (just click on the title to go to the Goodreads link): 



Thanks for reading about these two helpful works. I hope they will be instructive and helpful to you. For me, the combination of these two works, opened my eyes and made so much improvement to my writing, especially over the past two years. 

P.S.: If you like these writing blog entries, I'll try to share more often, meanwhile, I'm back at it, that is, consider me I #Amwriting. ~~LJK 

P.S.S.: Don't make the same mistake I made about the Lukeman book because of the title. My misjudgment delayed reading it. The book isn't only about crafting your first five pages; it's more about what mistakes are readily apparent in the first five pages, how to correct them (as they tend to exist throughout a manuscript); so that when the editor/agent reads your work, there will be fewer reasons to reject it! ~~LJK

Comments