Tips and Trepidations




What does every new writer need? Tips. What do even established writers need? designated readers. These are trusted readers that help us refine our craft before anyone else sees it (before publication). I think if we only wait for the editorial staff to get any one of these (tips or a designated reader), it is pretty damned foolish. (Also, unless we have a great agent, some great editors that like working with us, and so on, we sure can't just depend upon them for tips--and an initial submission (prior to acceptance) by a new writer better not expect it!)

Recently I read Stephen King's On Writing, and it was very helpful. As a new fiction writer, I use a variety of tools and read a number of publications designed to help the beginning fiction writer especially. Elements of Style, Writing magazines, books about writing. Some of my writing acquaintances I know publish helpful blogs or tips and many writers have helpful sections about writing on their websites. Elmore Leonard has a great set of rules at his web site. Two other websites were very helpful that I saw recently. One, was Holly Lisle's web site, and Robert Sawyer's (sfwriter.com).

You know the best writing" tutorial" comes from taking the time to get the story down or the first draft of a novel written down and going through that whole process of revision. The best teacher for writing, is doing the writing itself and then, revision. And you know as a new fiction writer, I am seldom happy with the results. Maybe I will be happier if I go back and do the second draft after putting it aside for awhile as most writers suggest. The best writers aren't based on raw talent (everyone says) but determined perseverance and actual practice. And you know every writer I know says keep on reading and writing.

So what to make of designated readers? Highly important if you can find some that will really be objective. Their input can be invaluable. Relatives and friends may tell you nice things that you want to hear, but a good designated reader will tell you what they really think (even if a relative or friend).

This week I finished a short story "Jared's Journey" about 4,000 words, I drafted it at this length because of a particular fantasy market that I wanted to submit it to. The verdict from some of my designated readers? Too descriptive and not enough action.

This state of affairs is likely to be a challenge for me and perhaps I will prove to be a better novelist than a short story writer. Still, I would like to be better and by some miracle, a decent writer at both endeavors. Having said that, these are formats that must be distinct from one another in some respects. For example, more description seems welcome in a novel. But all the resources on writing tips strongly suggest avoiding too much description or telling about something rather than showing it. And many sources make the point that you must have a balance between description and dialogue (or showing).

I say this may be a challenge for me at times, because I am more of a voice, auditory, hearing, philosopher, descriptive kind of writer (based on who I am) than a visual one. Elmore Leonard says in his list of rules that that type of writer should ignore his rules, but am I really that type of writer as I think I am? (Perhaps some writers can be more visible than others?) One thing is plain writing is not an easy art. No art is.

I think rules and tips never hurt any writer. We can take what we can learn and there is always room for improvement. I seldom like the first drafts of any fiction I write and yes, I know I shouldn't love my writing, because some of the parts I love might not get cut even if they should.

So, the philosopher and non fiction writer in me says describe, describe, and describe (and I have been published in these fields). The fiction writer in me is struggling to be something different and find the right balance between description and showing. I know that will only come with practice, but I will strive to make it come as quickly as I can. Practice, practice, practice.

Also, I know I should have a range of designated readers. Perhaps a few of my designated readers, out of a preference for video games and action movies, are simply not as patient with description in my stories as they should be. I hope that's part of the the reason. Regardless, I have a whole lot of work to do to keep refining a work of fiction here, and to even make it potentially publishable. I remain wonderfully (nice adverb huh?) humbled after my designated readers took a look, and I am very glad they did and commented. I remain as committed as ever to improving my writing, so I can offer the best reading adventure possible to my readers.

Searching for balance and trying to find the right voice, one never stops and gives up the battle!
Take care! -- Lee

Comments

Sandra Tuttle said…
Short story telling is very similar to Haiku poetry--each and every word counts. So a lot of description in a short story--it better be damned important description.

Sometimes description is more important if it is just alluded to and it is more memorable if you add description to your action. Make your description active--not passive.

For instance I can say something like...

The normal clacking of my high heels against the concrete was droned out by the consistant pitter patter of the rain beating against the puddles--futilely. They'd all end up in the same place regardless--the sewer.

Or I could say...

In the eerie near-silence of a heavy rainfall, a raindrop smacked onto my finger and slid off into the gutter to join its kin in the sewer.

The second one isn't quite as preachy, its shorter and more direct. The message isn't as clear as the first perhaps, but the meaning is the same and more is alluded to.

I'm just learning active/passive writing myself and I just pulled that example out of my ass so who knows if it'll actually help you, but it made me think LOL

Write tight, Lee, Write tight!